Hugh Reid

Hugh Reid
Date Of Birth: 15-March-1905
Place Of Birth: Belfast
Date Of Death: 1972
Total Appearances: 8
Position: LB
Nationality: NI
Debut: 21-Aug-26, League, (A) v. Fordsons


Hugh Reid was at left full back for Dundalk’s first Free State League game in Cork on August 21st 1926. Just a quarter of an inch off six feet tall and weighing 12 and a half stone, he was appointed captain. He continued in that position to the end of October, making a total of 8 League appearances, when he returned to the United States of America to play in the National Soccer League.

Reared in East Belfast not far from Glentoran's ground, the Oval, he had made his senior debut with the Glens in the Irish League during the 1923-24 year after a short time with their reserves. First choice fullback for the following year, Glentoran won the Irish League, Co Antrim Shield and Charity Cup, and were runners up to Distillery in the Irish Cup.

English League club Queens Park Rangers and Cardiff City sent scouts to have him assessed but at the end of March, immediately after the 1925 Irish Cup final, he left for America to join his former teammate Davy Duff at the Falls River club.

He returned to Belfast after about nine months and saw out the 1925-26 year with Glentoran, before joining Dundalk for their inaugural Free State League year.

On his second trip to the States, he signed with Providence (10 apps) and then switched to Philadelphia Celtics for the 27-28 season but after making 10 appearances,the Celtics folded and, after a dispute with the Celts owners, Hugh ended up with leading American Soccer League team Bethlehem Steel, where he linked up with his former Glentoran teammate Willie Reid.

After 20 appearances with the Steelmen, he went back to Belfast, rejoining Glentoran and earning an Irish League cap in September 1929 against the Football League at Goodison Park, Liverpool.

Hugh was a member of the Bethlehem team that defeated Boston Wonder Workers [5-4 in a two-legged match] in the final of the American Cup in 1928.

In his five Glentoran seasons he made 99 appearances and scored 5 goals.

During his three American League seasons he made 40 appearances with three clubs and scored 4 goals.

From the early 50s to the late 60s Hugh was the head of the Belfast Dockers Union.