Arthur Whelan

Arthur Whelan
Arthur Whelan
League 260
FAI Cup 20
Shield 130
City Cup 70
Leinster Cup 10
Others 20
Totals 510
1947-48 320
1948-49 190
Totals 510
Date Of Birth: 1922
Place Of Birth: Dublin
Date Of Death: Oct 28 2010
Place Of Death: Dublin
Total Appearances: 51
Position: LB
Nationality: IRE
Debut: 23-Aug-47, City Cup, (A) v. Drumcondra


Dublin born full back Arthur Whelan had played his youths and junior football with a number of clubs including Glencourt, Rossville, Munster Victoria and GSR. In 1943-44, his first senior season with Shelbourne, he made his debut at the tail end of the successful Shield campaign and shared in the League Championship victory.

But he was on the FAI Cup team that failed at the last hurdle to complete the League-Shield-Cup Treble, losing 3-2 to Shamrock Rovers in the Cup Final. Future Dundalk players Fred Kiernan and Willie Fallon were also on that Reds Cup final team.

Over four seasons he became a firm Ringsend favourite, and before leaving for Oriel Park had made 107 appearances. [League 42; FAI Cup 11; City Cup 20; Shield 15; Inter City Cup 12; Leinster Cup 6; Presidents Cup 1.]

Signed by Dundalk for the 1947-48 year, he took the place of Jim Hearty and had Paddy Durkan and Tom Beattie as his partners. An ever present, his sound defensive play made a major contribution to two runners-up finishes, losing out by a point in both the City Cup and the League Championship.

He was a late signing in the 1948-49 season, making his first appearance in the Shield in the middle of October and becoming a permanent member of the team until he was injured a week before the first round of the FAI Cup.

In the Cup semi-final against Drumcondra he aggravated the injury and his season was effectively over. Although declared fit to play in the FAI Cup final, the Committee were taking no chances and reserve full John Maguire was selected on the team that defeated Shelbourne in the Final.

A volunteer with the Irish Army during the ‘Emergency’, while stationed with the 44th LDF he made three appearances in the annual Army v. FAI XI encounter, from 1946 to 1948.

A well known member of the Motor Trade, Arthur had a garage off the South Circular Road, Dublin.

What They Said About Him

In its tributes to the winning FAI Cup team the Dundalk Democrat commented;

“In this perfect day I had one regret, and that was that lion-hearted defender, Arthur Whelan, was not on the team to share in the glory which he did so much to earn by his many great displays with Dundalk. If it is some consolation to him I want to state now—and I know I speak for his many admirers, which means every man, woman and child who goes to Oriel Park—that no man has done more to win this honour for Dundalk than Arthur Whelan”.

In spite of this generous and well deserved commendation, Arthur was given a free release when the team was broken up some weeks later.


2 Runners Up: League and City Cup 1947-48.